Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to add volume and enhance specific areas of the face. They are commonly made from materials like hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxyapatite, or poly-L-lactic acid.
Dermal fillers can be used for various purposes:
1. Smoothing out wrinkles and fine lines: Fillers can help soften the appearance of facial lines, such as smile lines (nasolabial folds) and marionette lines.
2. Restoring volume and plumpness: As we age, our face tends to lose volume, resulting in a sunken or hollow appearance. Dermal fillers can be used to restore volume to areas like the cheeks, temples, and under the eyes.
3. Enhancing lips: Fillers can be injected into the lips to add volume, improve symmetry, and define the lip contours.
4. Contouring the jawline and chin: Dermal fillers can be used to reshape and define the jawline and chin, providing a more sculpted appearance.
5. Filling in acne scars or other depressions: Dermal fillers can help smooth out depressed scars and improve the texture of the skin.
The treatment process for dermal fillers involves injecting the filler material into the desired areas using a thin needle or cannula. Dermal fillers come in various types with different viscosities, allowing for tailored treatments as each filler is designed for specific uses based on the desired outcome and the area being treated. Common side effects may include redness, swelling, bruising, and tenderness at the injection sites. These effects are usually temporary and subside within a few days.
What to expect
When getting treated with dermal fillers, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the process, treatment, and what to expect afterward. Here’s a breakdown:
1. Consultation: The first step is to schedule a consultation with our Doctor who is specialized in dermal fillers. During this consultation, you will discuss your goals, concerns, and medical history. Dr. G will assess your facial or body features and recommend the appropriate filler type and treatment plan.
2. Pre-treatment preparation: On the day of the treatment, your skin will be cleansed, and a topical anesthetic or numbing cream may be applied to minimize discomfort during the procedure.
3. Injection process: The filler is injected into specific areas using a fine needle or cannula. Dr. G will carefully administer the filler, taking into account the desired results and the natural contours of your face or body. You may feel slight pressure or a pinching sensation during the injections, but it is generally well-tolerated.
4. Post-treatment: After your treatment, you may experience mild swelling, redness, or bruising at the injection sites. These effects are usually temporary and can be managed with ice packs and over-the-counter pain relievers if needed. It is important to follow any post-treatment instructions we provide you with, such as avoiding strenuous exercise or alcohol consumption for a certain period.
5. Results: The results of dermal fillers are typically visible immediately, although there can be some initial swelling that subsides over the following days. You should notice an improvement in volume, smoothness, and overall appearance in the treated areas. The duration of the results varies depending on the type of filler used, the treated area, and individual factors, but commonly lasts between 6 months to 2 years.
6. Follow-up appointments: In some cases, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled to assess the results and determine if any touch-ups or additional treatments are necessary to achieve your desired outcome.
It’s important to remember that while dermal fillers are generally safe, they do carry some risks, such as infection, allergic reactions, or vascular complications. Choosing a skilled and experienced medical professional is crucial to minimize these risks and ensure a successful outcome.
The results of dermal fillers are typically immediate, although there may be initial swelling that subsides over time. The longevity of results varies depending on the type of filler used, the treated area, and individual factors. Generally, results can last from several months to over a year.
To determine the most suitable dermal filler and treatment plan for your specific concerns, it is essential to consult with a qualified medical professional like our Doctors at Studio Rococo
CONDITIONS IT TREATS
- Facial volume loss
- Cheeks, chin, tear troughs
- Nasolabial folds (parentheses)
- Other areas of lax skin concerns